A haiku is a deceptively simple poetic structure: three lines of 5, 7 and 5 syllables (mores in Japanese).
Haiku poetry attempts to capture the emotion of situations and everyday moments, avoiding a
Haikus express the emotions and thoughts that everyday situations generate in the poet, but in an
oblique way, leaving the author's subjectivity aside, narrating events as they occur.
We believe that in today's cutting-edge cuisine, the names of the dishes are approaching the semantics
and syntax of haikus. We believe that you can make a small exercise in style by creating a series of
haikus to praise and promote a haute-cuisine menu, since we believe that this type of structure is
particularly suitable for capturing the poetry in this tye of cuisine.
Thus, the haiku can express the poetry in the menu, which can be considered a haiku ??with ingredients
instead of words, and also try capture moments of everyday life as well as the feelings and emotions of
1) Introduction: the idea is shown to Albert Raurich who finds it a good initiative. He explains his own
project of a haiku menu for the terrace of his restaurant “Dos Palillos” (Two Sticks): a degustation
menu to be serve outside, on the terrace. The dishes are not presented one at a time but grouped by
theme or contrasts, like haikus written with different dishes.
2) Test: Albert Raurich asks us to turn some of the dishes from the previous summer menu to haikus
and see if the concept works. Once submitted, the chef accepts and invite us to move to the next
3) Interview: Albert Raurich describes the new menu and concepts which he would like to show to the
customers: which emotions and ideas will generate different dishes, how the basic tastes (sour, sweet ,
bitter, spicy, etc.) are combined...
4) Writing and composition: from these chef ‘s ideas and our own impressions about products and
recipes, we write a haiku for each food group, associating an image/concept.
5) Concluding Presentation: image/concept becomes an animated gif, haikus are translated to the
different languages of the project ??(Spanish , Catalan and English) and organized as a static web page.